Mission “10vi Pass” was a campaign to systematically improve traffic discipline in Pune. It aims to enforce 10 basic traffic rules, one rule at a time, starting from the simplest ones.
It was inaugurated by DCP Mr Manoj Patil and renowned artist Shri Mangesh Tendulkar.
The 10 rules were:
- At red signal, stop before stop line (stopping before zebra stripes is not enough).
- There is no free left turn at signals (we will also have to tell people that this rule exists all over India).
- 1-way, no entry rules. No driving on wrong side, including “for just a few feet” while turning right as many people do.
- Do not use mobile while driving, not even in hands free mode.
- Do not cut corners while turning right.
- Honour zebra stripes even at places without signals. Pedestrians have a right of way at zebras.
- Must use directional blinkers or hand signals before turning.
- Correct use of headlights: must use headlight after sunset/ before sunrise, never use high beam (“upper”) in city.
- Use correct lane for turning, beginning with signals.
- Parking rules, including: a) No parking on footpaths, b) do not seat a “driver” in the driver’s seat when the vehicle stands in a no parking area.